Red flags to look out for in your contract
When you hire a contractor you are presented with mountains of paperwork – or at least you should be. Don’t just sign on the dotted line. Make sure you read through the paperwork thoroughly and look out for any red flags. Here are a few things to be watching for.
- You should be seeing paperwork as proof of the contractor’s license and insurance.
- The licence number should be on the contract.
- All fees should be clearly labelled, and spelt out.
- There should be NO blanks in the contract. Everything should be filled in before you sign it.
- Make sure there is a listed address.
- Beware if the contract says that they do not need any permits to carry out the work.
- Read the warranty terms for products and materials. If there are not any then this is a flag.
- Biggest flag of all? There is no contract!
By Sarah Hoy